In this article I want to talk about those occasions in which psychological disorders develop as a means to try to avoid a situation that overflows us.
- 1 An overflowed mind
- 2 What is happening in these situations?
- 3 How wise is our mind right?
- 4 How to prevent the development of psychological disorders?
- 5 What are these skills?
An overflowed mind
Our mind is wise and when we don't have enough resources to overcome certain situations, it creates its own.
Let's pay attention to the following examples:
- A person who works 12 hours a day in a situation of high pressure develops a disorder agoraphobic It prevents him from leaving home.
- A girl who has had a conflictive relationship with her mother throughout her life, develops a psychotic outbreak when she is prevented from having a delirium through which she believes that her mother is not her mother.
- A man begins to believe that someone has supplanted his wife's identity, after learning that she has been unfaithful to him with different types.
- A PhD student is the victim of a panic attack just before submitting his thesis.
What is happening in these situations?
It is obvious that in these situations (and of course it does not always have to be this way) The psychological disorder is being a mechanism to avoid a situation that overflows us.
- In the first case our mind prefers to develop an agoraphobic disorder (of course created by a conditioning and its generalization to the environment) than to face this constant work tension for 12 hours a day indefinitely.
- In this case it is more functional to think that your mother is not your mother than to assume that you will have to be caring for the rest of your life to a family member with whom you have never had a good relationship. Or in the worst case, admitting that you don't want to take care of your mother carries very negative connotations of your person that you probably don't like to assume. Can you think of anything more practical than this delirium?
- Here it is clear that it is much less aversive for our ego to think that someone has supplanted the identity of our partner than to assume that our wife is unfaithful, our marriage is over and we have to face a hard divorce and a period of mourning.
- This student is terrified of submitting his thesis, he is terrified that something goes wrong and it is much simpler for an unfortunate event to occur such as a panic attack that makes him pass it and prevents him from presenting the thesis.
How wise is our mind right?
It should be said that disorders do not always develop in this way. Not all psychological disorders are avoidance mechanisms, and not all people in complicated situations develop psychological disorders.
So On what does it depend that in the face of the same situation one person develops a disorder and the other does not?
Whether or not a person develops a psychological disorder in a complicated situation depends in part on their genetic predisposition and on another part of their learning history and coping resources.
When i mean your prior learning historyI am talking about the fact that in the past you have faced complicated situations and learned to overcome them successfully. We are not born knowing, we learn in intercalation with our surroundings and the circumstances that surround us. So it is more likely that someone who has faced different difficulties throughout his life will be better off from complicated circumstances than another person who has always been given everything done.
How to prevent the development of psychological disorders?
Everyone, absolutely everyone, is susceptible to developing a psychological disorder (of course reversible with the right treatment) in a situation that overflows us. But it is true that we can acquire some skills that make these disorders less likely to develop.
What are these skills?
- Stress Reduction Skills (Relaxation techniques, meditation, etc.)
- Have hobbies. Dedicating a little time every day to any activity that you love is an excellent antidote for any psychological disorder.
- Problem solving skills. Knowing how to solve problems adequately will help you to successfully get out of many conflicting situations preventing them from staying in time and overflowing.
- Coping skills. When you have a problem, the best thing you can do is to face it (even if it is complicated and involves discomfort and discomfort) and get rid of it forever. If you let your problems accumulate without looking for a way out, your mind will do it for you.
In short, we are all or will be exposed to complicated moments at some point in our lives, the key is knowing how to overcome them successfully.
Subscribe here to our YouTube channel